Some ideas on Tim's script

Alie Tan alie at affle.com
Wed Jan 30 14:39:03 UTC 2013

Hi

On Wednesday, January 30, 2013, George Rosamond <
george at ceetonetechnology.com> wrote:
> I mentioned this to Tim offline a while back, but I have some quick
thoughts on options for the scripts.

> A bunch of us in NYC*BUG have been hacking on Soekris and Alix boards
with i386 for a long while, which lays the basis for some of these thoughts.

> But first, with 8G images, I had to adjust the config.sh's SD_SIZE below
7900 for Kingston SD Cards to fit.  I can give more specifics if desired.
 Anyone else experience that?

You can use diskinfo to get sector size and disk size in sector. I would
like to recommed to use sector for SD_SIZE. So you can automate SD_SIZE
value.

> In terms of /etc/fstab, I think adding tmpfs to the kernel would be
useful.  Without it, using md(4) for /var/log, /tmp and /var/tmp is
certainly a nice way to minimize disk writes.

> It might also make sense to add rc_debug="YES" and rc_info="YES" to the
default /etc/rc.conf.  Most users are testing right now, and it's only
logical for the pool of people hacking on them.

> And maybe to add the relevant ntpdate(8) settings to /etc/rc.conf.
>
> Once there is a consistent and official ARM pkgng repo, it would be
useful to have that set in /usr/local/etc/pkg.conf

> On that note: in the absence of USB and the ability to use it to do ports
stuff on the BBone itself, any decent ARM package repositories out there?
 I've seen some moving through this list.

> pkgbeta.freebsd.org no longer contains ARM, only i386/amd64.  Any ideas
why?

> And again, thanks enormously for the work everyone has done.  It's
appreciated wider and further than I think anyone realizes.  As some of you
may know, we established contacts with CircuitCo who offered their software
engineer's ear.  Ping me offlist if you want to contact him.