The Next BeagleBone Better & Faster for Less!

Tim Kientzle tim at kientzle.com
Thu Feb 21 16:59:19 UTC 2013

On Feb 21, 2013, at 7:17 AM, Ian Lepore wrote:

> On Thu, 2013-02-21 at 07:58 -0700, Warner Losh wrote:

I haven't found what SoC the new BeagleBone is
using, but the AM3359 used on the original BeagleBone
does support hardware ECC in the memory controller.

 "Section 7.1.1.1 GPMC (General Purpose Memory Controller) Features
   …
  • Up to 16-bit ECC support for NAND flash using BCH code (t=4, 8
     or 16) or Hamming code for 8-bit or 16-bit NAND-flash, organized
    with page size of 512 bytes, 1K bytes, or more."

There is also an "Error Location Module" documented in Section 7.4
of the TRM which seems to be the component that actually
implements the ECC coding and works with the GPMC.

Definitely a chunk of work to integrate, but it doesn't appear
to require that we implement software ECC.

Tim