named kills raspberry pi

Tim Kientzle tim at kientzle.com
Fri Feb 8 06:32:43 UTC 2013

On Feb 7, 2013, at 2:30 PM, Steve O'Hara-Smith wrote:

> 	Hi,
>
> 	As soon as I start named either by rc.d script or directly, whether
> in an ssh session or directly on the video console, with or without chroot,
> my early model 256MB model B pi locks up solid, no response on console, all
> ssh sessions freeze, no response to ping, nothing until power cycle. I can
> build ports all day long, but if I start named everything stops dead.

$ truss named -f

If you're lucky, you might catch some of the last system calls
before it hangs, which might give a clue.

If all else fails, good old-fashioned "printf debugging" may
be your best shot:  Add printf() calls to named's main()
function and see what the last printout is and keep going
until you narrow it down to a particular function or system call.
Of course, this will go faster if you have FreeBSD src on the
RPi so you can edit, compile, install, and run again fairly
quickly.

Tim