SD card -image- for the beaglebone

Tim Kientzle tim at kientzle.com
Mon Feb 4 01:54:23 UTC 2013

>> Quite happy to rebuild the kernel and world afterwards (yes, I know I
>> need an 8 Gig SD card), but it's just this bootstrapping problem thats
>> an issue…
>
> I just uploaded a BeagleBone SD image that people can play with.

Here's another build.  This fixes a couple of minor problems
with the earlier build and also has an experimental
"autosizing" feature.

http://people.freebsd.org/~kientzle/FreeBSD-BEAGLEBONE-r246278-noWITNESS-autosize-2013-02-02.img.xz

This is:
  * Based on SVN r246278
  * Completely vanilla build from SVN except as noted below
  * WITNESS and INVARIANTS are disabled
  * NFSCL and NFSLOCKD added to kernel
  * Has a user "beagle" with password "beagle" that you can login with SSH

The experimental "autosizing" feature means:
  * You can put this on any size SD card (minimum 1G)
  * On first boot, it will attempt to expand the root filesystem to fill the card.
  * I've tested this with 32G cards and ended up with 29G free space.

(Due to a bug, it doesn't completely finish resizing on first boot;
reboot and it will finish.)

You should be able to get a complete FreeBSD system
up and running from just this image:

* Connect USB cable to get serial console, insert SD card and boot.
* Login as "root" and reboot to finish resizing.
* Set passwords, create accounts as appropriate
* Connect to a network, configure as necessary.  (If you
   have a real network, you'll probably want to use
   SYNCDHCP and enable ntpd.)
* Set up swap:
      $ dd if=/dev/zero of=/usr/swap bs=1024k count=768
      $ echo 'swapfile="/usr/swap"' >> /etc/rc.conf
      $ reboot
* Get a ports tree:
      $ portsnap fetch
      $ portsnap extract
* Build and install subversion port:
      $ cd /usr/ports/devel/subversion
      $ make BATCH=yes
      $ make BATCH=yes install
* Get system sources and build them:
      $ svn co http://svn.freebsd.org/base/head /usr/src
      $ cd /usr/src
      $ make buildworld
      $ make buildkernel
      $ … etc ...

This will likely take a couple of days (mostly thanks to
the slow MMCSD driver).  I'm going through the above
right now; I'll let you know how much NFS helps when
I get to that point.

Tim