ports cross-compilers vs. native toolchain

Mark Murray markm at FreeBSD.org
Fri Jan 20 15:30:07 UTC 2012

Tim Kientzle writes:

> On Jan 18, 2012, at 11:30 PM, Johny Mattsson wrote:
>
> > On 19 January 2012 16:49, Tim Kientzle <tim at kientzle.com> wrote:
> > Sounds like I should keep poking at u-boot with the native cross
> > tools.
> >
> > When I was building custom uboot binaries for my Sheevaplugs, I used
>
> the CodeSourcery pre-built ARM toolchain for Linux (on Linux). It was
> the path of least resistance for me, and it worked really well.
>
> > I don't know if that's a workable path for you or not, but I thought
>
> I'd throw the suggestion out there.
>
> Were this a work project, I would do exactly that in order to keep
> making forward progress.
>
> For the moment, I'm more curious about just how far I can push this
> using FreeBSD tools only.

I've locally updated cross-(binutils|gcc|gdb) to the latest stable
versions, and they seem to work really well for u-boot, OpenPilot and a
couple of other things.

I've build-tested them for all the *-*-(binutils|gcc|gdb) instances that
I could find, but I've only used arm-eabi-(binutils|gcc|gdb) in anger,
and then only for C.

Mark R V Murray
Cert APS(Open) Dip Phys(Open) BSc Open(Open) BSc(Hons)(Open)
Pi: 132511160