FreeBSD on Raspberry PI?

Stefan Esser se at freebsd.org
Wed Feb 8 19:31:37 UTC 2012

The Raspberry PI has just been announced to become available at the end
of February and I'm just curious, whether it will be a good platform
for FreeBSD.

It is based on a Broadcom BCM2835 (ARM1176JZFS) for which a Technical
Reference Manual and a "BCM2835 ARM Peripherals" document exist. The
latter has just been announced in:

http://www.raspberrypi.org/archives/615 and can

be found at:

http://dmkenr5gtnd8f.cloudfront.net/wp-content/uploads/2012/02/BCM2835-ARM-Peripherals.pdf

Linux sources have also been published:

https://github.com/raspberrypi/linux

I'm going to get one, anyway, and would like to support a porting
effort to this platform. Video will not be possible, I'm afraid, but
the Raspberry PI looks like a nice base for a cheap, small server
(800k Dhrystones, some 60% of a BeagleBone AFAIK).

Regards, STefan