FreeBSD/armv6z/clang on Raspberry Pi 512MB (with U-Boot + ubldr)

Warner Losh imp at bsdimp.com
Fri Dec 28 21:09:16 UTC 2012

On Dec 28, 2012, at 9:47 AM, Adrian Chadd wrote:

> .. the compiler should know the alignment for each of those types and
> pad the structure appropriately, right?

No, it doesn't. At least traditionally gcc and other compilers will assume you know what you are doing and use the natural accessors.

> david - what's the "right" behaviour here? Surely clang should be
> inserting 4 bytes of padding before that pointer?

For OABI, no padding is the correct answer. For EABI padding is, I believe, the right answer. If it matters, and if you are matching an external standard, be explicit in some way with packed attributes and/or explicit dummy padding members.

Warner