Globalscale Dreamplug and 8.3 RELEASE

Milan Obuch freebsd-arm at dino.sk
Thu Aug 2 14:22:44 UTC 2012

On Wed, 01 Aug 2012 12:32:44 -0600
Ian Lepore <freebsd at damnhippie.dyndns.org> wrote:

> On Thu, 2012-07-19 at 13:48 -0700, Dave Hayes wrote:
> > Hello. :) I'm using FreeBSD 8.3 RELEASE and attempting to get this
> > running on my dreamplug. I've successfully gotten it to boot off of
> > a usb stick (after many adventures) but I've run into a problem. It
> > seems that mge1 is not found (the 2nd ethernet interface).
> >
> > I really need this to work, so I did some digging on this list but
> > it seems there's a .dts file needed. FreeBSD 8 doesn't use dts
> > files as far as I can tell, though I could be horribly wrong there.
> >
> > Can anyone point me to some patches which would get the 2nd
> > ethernet interface to work?
>
> I finally found some time yesterday to play around with this (sorry to
> take so long to respond).  I made some small progress towards getting
> the second ethernet interface working, but didn't achieve complete
> success.
>
> The attached patch (for freebsd 8) gets things to the point where the
> mge1 device is created at boot time.  You can manually configure the
> interface and packets will be received, but no packets ever go out.
>
> I did some driver debugging to the point where I see the outgoing
> packet buffers being handed to the hardware, and then shortly
> thereafter TX-done interrupts happen, as if the packet was sent just
> fine.  But either the bits never hit the wire, or the packets are
> malformed in some way such that other boxes on my network can't see
> them arrive (using tcpdump; I don't have any wire-level debugging
> tools).

Did you properly set multiplexed pin functions? I did not play with 8.3
on my GuruPlug Server, which should be similar enough. Look in archives
for message from me with subject 'Re: Guruplug Server Plus working to
some extent... [mge1 problem SOLVED]' dated Wed, 27 Oct 2010 22:59:34
+0200. It contains some 9.0-CURRENT of that time patches, most probably
MPP settings need to be changed a bit in your case too.

> I get the same results with a freshly-sync'd -current, so this isn't
> specific to freebsd 8.
>
> I have a feeling there's some simple little thing I'm overlooking
> because I don't know the arm/mv code well.  Like the PHY needs to be
> powered on or a clock enabled for it or something like that.  I don't
> think I've got much more time to play with this right now, so I
> figured I should post what I've learned along with the patches that
> get it this far; maybe someone else can make some more progress.
>
> -- Ian

I hope you can find how to set MPP functions and mge1 will work for you.

Regards,
Milan

N. B. This mail is somehow delayed, but nevertheless, hopefully you can
find something in older post mentioned in it.