Beagleboard stuff

Damjan Marion damjan.marion at gmail.com
Tue Mar 29 22:02:53 UTC 2011

Hi,

On Mar 29, 2011, at 5:09 PM, Olivier Houchard wrote:

> On Tue, Mar 29, 2011 at 12:27:33PM +0100, Mark Murray wrote:
>> Hi *
>>

> Hi Mark,
>
>> I'm keen "go embedded". I have a Beagleboard-xM, and I haven't had the
>> time I'd like to do much with it.
>>
>> A fellow called Ben Gray has done some of the work to get FreeBSD
>> working on this unit, but used FreeBSD-8 as a base. I've taken his
>> work and made it compile on current (mostly). He had some hacks
>> (beagle_brintf, beagle_panic etc) which I've removed, along with some
>> stuff (that may have broken things) in PMAP.
>>
>> The diffs are in http://people.freebsd.org/~markm/src.beagleboard.diff.
>>
>> Is this of any use? :-)
>>

> yes it his :) armv6/v7 support has been wanted for a long time now.
> However, there's been ongoing discussions with Mark Tinguely, raj@ and others
> about how to handle the MMU differences between <= v5 and >= v6, and I think
> the consensus was we should create a new pmap_v6.c file, maybe using kobj as
> is done in the ppc port. Maybe now is a good time to do so :)

This is very interesting topic to me. I just received few days ago pandaboard, which is somehow successor of beagleboard and it is built on TI OMAP4430 SoC.
Main difference is that this one is dual core ARM Cortex-A9 so it needs SMP support. I guess that so far there is no SMP in ARM implementation on FreeBSD so I planed to spent some time on it.
Is there any work done so far on SMP side?
If not is there any wider interest to implement ARM MPCore in FreeBSD?
Any other thoughts on this topic?

Thanks,

Damjan