Changing virtual adress space layout

Mark Tinguely marktinguely at gmail.com
Thu Jan 13 16:30:29 UTC 2011

On 1/13/2011 1:30 AM, Devesh Rai wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I am new to FreeBSD. Can some tell how to change virtual address space layout in FreeBSD for arm?
> For x86, KVA_PAGES=N option is there in FreeBSD.  In Linux, I used CONFIG_VMSPLIT option.
> I am looking corresponding option for arm.
>
> Regards
> Devesh

I assume you have run out of space for the device virtual addresses.

KERNBASE is hard coded in sys/arm/include/vm_param.h to be 0xc0000000.

There is a related variable for each device configuration: the
KERNVIRTADDR  "option" and "makeoption" values. This is usually in one
of the "std" file  file for the device. KERNVIRTADDR sets the starting
location of the executable and is sometimes different than KERNBASE.

The arm code does not map the from KERNBASE to 0xffff_ffff into the KVA.
Instead, there is a variable that determines the maximum size of the
kernel executable and kernel virtual address area. Above this defined
area lies the no-cache remap memory region, device map area, high
vector, etc.

On a tangent note: There will be a great advantage in ARMv6/ARMv7 to go
to a 2GB UVA / 2GB KVA.

--Mark.