LLVM/Clang cross-compiling for ARM

Vassilis Laganakos vassilis.laganakos at yahoo.com
Wed Apr 13 22:15:32 UTC 2011

Hello Damjan,

----- Original Message -----

I started taking a look into building llvm as cross-compiler
for ARM and trying to build -CURRENT for an existing port,
so see how far we get :)

I'm currently stuck a bit in the first step :) As Mark T. pointed
out in a recent email, llvm in -CURRENT does not cross-build,
so we have to use an external compiler for now.

I'll hopefully get back soon with some useful info about this...

> As it natively supports v6 and v7 architectures sounds like perfect choice for
> new CPUs,
> specially with fact that we cannot use recent gcc versions.

Yes :) however, we would need to commit a version of llvm
that can also cross-build in the build tree/system. Or else we're
exactly at the same point where we were with having a later
version of GCC as an external compiler. The fact that llvm can
be imported in the build system is the great win in this case ;)

Thanks,
Vassilis