FreeBSD arm HP5555 iPAQ

Jacques Fourie jacques.fourie at gmail.com
Mon Feb 15 08:09:01 UTC 2010

> In message: <60dff88b1002141729l68ce609ave6b66f1c882eb31f at mail.gmail.com>
>            Elf Dark <jabbe at mail.ru> writes:
> : Good day, team!!!
> :
> : I am interesting to make possible to run FreeBSD 8.0 on the iPAQ
> : HP5555 platform. Please if you have any time, can you help me?
>
> "The 5550 has an Intel XScale PXA255 processor running at 400 MHz."
>
> So, it may be possible to support this in FreeBSD.  We have basic
> xscale support in the tree, but nothing specific for the PXA255 cpus.
> You likely can snag a bunch of that support from NetBSD, since they
> have lots of support, but no apparent support for the hp 5555 (based
> solely on a grep of the tree).
>
> Is this enough to get you going?
>
> Warner

I have done some work on a custom platform based on the PXA255 cpu.
The existing support in the tree was more than enough to get me going,
only had to write drivers for some of the internal peripherals found
on the PXA255 (MMC, SPI, I2C etc.). This was relatively easy because
the hardware was fully documented and I could flash a new bootloader
(u-boot) that played nicely with FreeBSD.