Adding support for the Intel SS4000-E NAS aka the EM-7210

Tom Judge tom at tomjudge.com
Fri Sep 25 13:54:38 UTC 2009

Stanislav Sedov wrote:
> On Fri, 25 Sep 2009 13:07:54 +0000
> Tom Judge <tom at tomjudge.com> mentioned:
>

>> Rui Paulo wrote:
>>
>>> On 21 Sep 2009, at 17:02, Tom Judge wrote:
>>>
>>> <SNIP>
>>> Are you sure 0x200000 is the correct load address?
>>>
>>> --
>>> Rui Paulo
>>>

>> Hi Rui,
>>
>> First I would like to say thanks for replying, this is my first
>> experiment with trying to get freebsd to work on another platform so
>> please treat me a newbe to all this (thanks).
>>
>> Looking that where the linux kernel is loaded it seems the load address
>> is 0x01008000.
>>
>> However it seems like it could be loaded at 0x200000, as there is a
>> second copy of redboot on the unit, that supports the NIC, that is
>> loaded add this address.
>>
>> See this here for the details of what get loaded where on the unit:
>> http://www.tomjudge.com/index.php/SS4000-E/FreeBSD_Install
>>

> The default load address of the AVILA FreeBSD kernel is 10200000 so
> it expects to be loaded here.  As I see from your patch you changed
> it to be 0x01008000 instead.  So you should probably either load the
> kernel to this address, or change the corresponding KERNPHYSADDR
> parameter to 0x200000.

When I had KERNPHYSADDR and KERNVIRTADDR set to 0x01008000 I was unable
to make any progress on getting the system to boot.  Last night I was
working on the patch again, and started by using the std.aliva file as a
base for my std.em7210 rather than std.ep80219.  However I have not yet
had a chance to test this as I was working my way though making user the
devmap matched the devmap used by the linux kernel.

I have also been looking at alvia_machdep.c + eq80219_machdep.c and
comparing it to the em7210_machdep.c to remove magic numbers and replace
them with macros/defines as used in the aliva board.

Here is my current work: http://www.tomjudge.com/tmp/patch-em7210-round2

> Does this board has JTAG port available?  It will make the debugging
> much easier.

Yes there is a jtag port on the board, it seems to be a standard 20 pin
ARM header on the board (see image here:
http://www.kwaak.net/fotos/fotos-nas/slide_14.html).

Can anyone recommend a reasonably priced jtag cable? Preferable that
would work on FreeBSD.

Thanks

TJ