Adding support for the Intel SS4000-E NAS aka the EM-7210

Tom Judge tom at tomjudge.com
Fri Sep 25 13:08:27 UTC 2009

Rui Paulo wrote:
> On 21 Sep 2009, at 17:02, Tom Judge wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> I am trying to add support for the Intel SS4000-E/EM7210 to FreeBSD, I
>> have copied all of the files for the EP80219 as this seems to be what
>> the board is based on, and modified the interrupt assignment code.  See
>> the patch agains sys/arm here: http://www.tomjudge.com/tmp/em-7210-patch
>>
>> I am also having trouble with loading the kernel at the default
>> location, (instructions from here: http://wiki.freebsd.org/FreeBSDAvila)
>> as RedBoot reports that there is no memory at the load address.
>> Currently when I try to load this kernel at the phys address using
>> reboot and try to run the kernel I get nothing outputed on the console.
>> I used the phys address from the addresses that the linux kernel is
>> loaded into out of flash. (see output below)
>>
>> Could someone please give me some hints on what I am doing wrong and
>> need to change?  The board is currently supported by the Linux kernel
>> (as the em7210.c) so I was hoping that adding support to FreeBSD would
>> not be difficult.
>
> Are you sure 0x200000 is the correct load address?
>
> --
> Rui Paulo

Hi Rui,

First I would like to say thanks for replying, this is my first
experiment with trying to get freebsd to work on another platform so
please treat me a newbe to all this (thanks).

Looking that where the linux kernel is loaded it seems the load address
is 0x01008000.

However it seems like it could be loaded at 0x200000, as there is a
second copy of redboot on the unit, that supports the NIC, that is
loaded add this address.

See this here for the details of what get loaded where on the unit:
http://www.tomjudge.com/index.php/SS4000-E/FreeBSD_Install

Tom