making the cross tools

Chuck Robey chuckr at telenix.org
Tue May 19 20:09:36 UTC 2009

M. Warner Losh wrote:
> In message: <4A130E2A.3060900 at telenix.org>
>             Chuck Robey <chuckr at telenix.org> writes:
> : Referring to the "Mini-install guide" that's on the Arm web page, I've
> : built/installed the compiler, but when I got to the 2nd set of instructions,
> : about building the binutils, it gives me this error after doing quite a bit of
> : building:
> :
> : make: don't know how to make /usr/cross/usr/lib/libc.a. Stop
> : *** Error code 2
> :
> : The DESTDIR is /usr/cross, and the command itself from the guide sets the
> : TOOLS_PREFIX also to /usr/cross.  Any idea what's going on, that it's refusing
> : to use my system libc.a?  It's a cross-compiler here, which means it's going to
> : execute here on my i386 machine, so it really SHOULD use my local libc.a (not
> : some libc.a for the Arm arch), right?
>
> Please provide a reference here to the URL you are using, since this
> makes no sense at all...  TOOLS_RPEFIX isn't a FreeBSDism.

OK, it's http://www.freebsd.org/platforms/arm.html, the section title is
"Mini-install Guide", by Olivier Houchard (which I'm probably making a hash of).
 Thanks for that ref to the p4 archive, I haven't used that yet, wasn't sure
where it is.  I know that the current gcc does provide support for the Cortex,
but I don't know exactly (yet) how old it is, I need to see, I guess, if it's at
least as old as the gcc (4.2.1).  That's not too hard to find out.