ARMv7 - EABI - Cross Compiler

Mark Tinguely tinguely at casselton.net
Mon Jun 15 21:04:19 UTC 2009

In case any of the Cortex/v7 projects or anyone else is interested, I have
gcc-4.5 cross compiling the current GUMSTIX kernel on a i386 FreeBSD 6.4
computer (QEMU runs better under FreeBSD 6.4) - I have not tried the libs
yet to a "build world".

The kernel sources need some FreeBSD (format and at least one built-in define)
extensions to compile that are not in the standard gcc. Besides the extensions
that I copied over the code to put the binaries in the standard, reasonable
places /usr/cross/libexec/cc1, for example).

Gcc 4.5 -O option found a few inline and structure warnings, that required
either the removal of the -O option or -Werror option for these files.
I chose to remove the -Werror. The warnings are:

wanted to add parenthesis around the &:
ddb/db_ps.c

-O detects inline optimizations in the files:
devfs_vnops.c pseudofs_vnops.c  kern_descrip.c kern_jail.c sys_pipe.c
tty.c uipc_mbuf.c vfs_default.c vfs_lookup.c vfs_mount.c vfs_syscalls.c
ffs_snapshot.c trap.c pmap.c

variably modified in the definition of a structure (and some inline opt):
ufs_dirhash.c ufs_inode.c ufs_lookup.c  ufs_vfsops.c ufs_vnops.c

I made changes to the gcc-4.5-20090528 directory and the build directory.
I will look at the libraries too.

--Mark Tinguely.