ARM cross compiling question

Milan Obuch freebsd-arm at dino.sk
Sat Mar 31 17:52:51 UTC 2007

On Saturday 31 March 2007, M. Warner Losh wrote:
> Make sure you define both TARGET and TARGET_ARCH to be 'arm'.  I know
> that works, as I've done this on 6.2 and -current dozens of times.
> I'll take a look at -stable.
>
> Of course, I also use the 'make buildenv' target to then build
> kernels.

It looks like make TARGET_ARCH=arm kernel-toolchain  does the job just fine...
no need to go through more complicated steps anymore. Anyway, thanks for
info.

> In message: <200703311533.02429.freebsd-arm at dino.sk>
>
>             Milan Obuch <freebsd-arm at dino.sk> writes:
> : Also, I have second question - from what I looked in arm kernel configs,
> : it seems one needs to set following in kernel config:
> :
> : options         PHYSADDR=0x10000000
> : options         KERNPHYSADDR=0x10200000
> : options         KERNVIRTADDR=0xc0200000         # Used in ldscript.arm
> : options         FLASHADDR=0x50000000
> : options         LOADERRAMADDR=0x00000000
> :
> : (taken from AVILA), but I did not find description for them. For my
> : board, 64 MB SDRAM is at physicall address 0x3000000. NAND flash is
> : accessed via NAND flash controller, somehow resembling disc access
> : (actually, I think I try to make it look like disc). Any help to
> : understand these options is greatly appreciated.
>
> This is similar the atmel parts.  You'd want PHYSADDR to be
> 0x30000000, with all the other addresses adjusted accordingly.  You'd
> have to see where your flash controller maps the flash memory...

Hmm, PHYSADDR seems clear, but what are the other options for? Now I found a
bit info:

PHYSADDR : Address of the physical memory
KERNPHYSADDR : Physical address where the kernel starts
KERNVIRTADDR : Virtual address of the kernel
STARTUP_PAGETABLE_ADDR : Where to put the page table at bootstrap

This is not enough, at least for me. What does it mean 'accordingly'? How
could they be selected? I am still looking for some info on these options.

Flash controller seems not mapping flash into memory space. Flash is read in
512 B blocks (sectors) with some ECC code.

> : If anybody already did some work with Samsung's S3C2410, I would like to
> : know about it.
>
> There is a NetBSD port that you can crib some code from.  I've looked
> at the serial controller only for this board...
>
> Warner

I will look there, too.
Regards,
Milan