Current status and further development

Olivier Houchard mlfbsd at ci0.org
Thu Nov 18 12:57:08 PST 2004

On Fri, Nov 19, 2004 at 03:43:16AM +0800, Jia-Shiun Li wrote:
> Hi Oliver,
>
> I tried following the instructions to build -current , but the first
> stage to build a cross-compiler would fail with messages like this:
>
> make: don't know how to make /usr/cross/usr/lib/libc.a. Stop
> *** Error code 2
>
> Stop in /usr/src/gnu/usr.bin/cc.
>
> at the step of 'make all' for cc. I checked the .depend file, the last
> line said cc depends on /usr/cross/usr/lib/libc.a and
> /usr/src/gnu/usr.bin/cc/cc/../cc_int/libcc_int.a. Since I am building
> the cross-compiler for the first time, there is nothing under
> /usr/cross. Do I need some more hack or compiled library to continue?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Jia-Shiun.

Hi,

It seems it my fault, partially. Apparently specifying DESTDIR for any other
target than install is not a good idea (although some .depend files looks
right, go figure).
So instead you have to do
make TARGET_ARCH=arm TOOLS_PREFIX=/usr/cross depend all
make TARGET_ARCH=arm TOOLS_PREFIX=/usr/cross DESTDIR=/usr/cross install

I've updated freebsd_arm.txt to reflect this.

Thanks for reporting, and sorry for the trouble.

Cheers,

Olivier