Current status and further development

Olivier Houchard mlfbsd at ci0.org
Thu Nov 11 16:10:48 PST 2004

On Thu, Nov 11, 2004 at 06:07:57PM +0100, Devon H. O'Dell wrote:
> Hey List,
>
> I'm going to be getting an ARM machine (Siemens SIMpad) soon, and I
> really don't want to run Linux on it. What's the current status of
> development, who are the head honchos, and what can I do to help out (do
> we have a TODO anywhere)?
>
> --Devon

Hi,

If I'm not mistaken, the Siemens SIMpad is based on the StrongArm 1110. If so,
basic support is present in the tree, and I get it to single user (multi-user
shouldn't be hard to achieve, but I have no real SA1110 hardware, I'm using
Simics, which doesn't emulate enough to be really interesting at this point.)
The only things which have drivers for are the UART and the clock, so if you
want to get FreeBSD to run on a SIMpad, you'd need a bunch of drivers (some
of them can easily be adapted from NetBSD).
Assuming you want to run it from Windows CE, you'd need a loader too. I guess
NetBSD's hpcarm loader should work fine.
You can get a few infos on how to cross compiles things for FreeBSD/arm here :
http://people.FreeBSD.org/~cognet/freebsd_arm.txt
It is a quick text explaining how to setup freebsd on the intel IQ31244 board,
but most of it applies here as well.

There's no TODO list yet, that would depress me ;)

Feel free to ask for more.

Cheers,

Olivier