A couple of questions

Olivier Houchard cognet at ci0.org
Wed Aug 4 08:27:07 PDT 2004

On Wed, Aug 04, 2004 at 02:51:15PM +0300, Alexander Timoshenko wrote:
>     Sorry, for distrubing the silence of this templ^W mailing list :) I
> have a couple of questions regarding arm port of freebsd. I'm playing
> with intel development board these days and going to try to run freebsd
> on it, but want to know more before i start.
>
>     - How to build image suitable for loading on developemnt board. Are
>       there any instructions? Or could someone share his scripts with
>       me?
>
>     - Could someone describe the generic cycle of development for arm
>       CPU? e.g: edit/compile/build image/reset board. What kind of
>       bootloader should i use?
>
> Thanks in advance. Sorry for the kind of lame questions.

Hi,

It all depends of what your board is.
Generally speaking, you won't be able to run FreeBSD, because each board is
too different.
What is on the CVS should support the Assabet board, as this is what Simics
emulate, however I have no clue on how to get FreeBSD on it, as Simics was
These days, I'm working with an IQ31244 (if you have an IQ80321, it should be
fine too). I cross-build the kernel on an i386 box (gcc/binutils in the base
does not support arm, but I provide patches for that), and use Redboot to
bootp, download the kernel via TFTP and run it (for some definition of run).

Cheers,

Olivier