[HEADSUP] Disallowing read() of a directory fd

Warner Losh imp at bsdimp.com
Fri May 15 15:57:26 UTC 2020

On Fri, May 15, 2020 at 9:04 AM Julian H. Stacey <jhs at berklix.com> wrote:

> kevans@ wasted FreeBSD time with threat of change at 2 days notice,
> for an issue unchanged since 1972.  The rush was immature.
>
> kevans@ should retract his threat of forced urgent change, or expect
> core@ be asked to remove his commit bit while FreeBSD considers
> _un-rushed_,  allowing sufficient time for all to consider options,
> & to warn users in RELNOTES of any potential future change.

Threats are not tolerated in this project. This hyperbolic response has
gone on long enough. Please stop and treat your fellow committers with
respect and a certain level of professionalism. He's done none of the
nefarious things you've said (I've known about this changes for days if not
weeks as he socialized it, for example). He doesn't deserve this level of
grief over a proposal. It's a request for comments, not a request for abuse
and nasty behaviour.

This whole thread has gone toxic / hyperbolic over a non-issue. You should
have stopped reading directories in 1983 when readdir was introduced
because UFS broke ls, find, du, etc. At best, it's a nice debugging tool
some folks don't want to lose. At worst, it causes bugs for programs that
accidentally read directories (and maybe some, like grep, need some minor
changes). It's not worth this much bile and venom.

Warner