arm64 as Tier 1 for FreeBSD 13

Emmanuel Vadot manu at bidouilliste.net
Wed Jan 29 21:46:49 UTC 2020

On Wed, 29 Jan 2020 21:36:43 +0000
"Poul-Henning Kamp" <phk at phk.freebsd.dk> wrote:

> --------
> In message <20200129222907.3ccaf4c23fe8509e3f9cdfe4 at bidouilliste.net>, Emmanuel Vadot writes:
>
> >> RPi's are a LOT easier to get hold of for hackers and in particular
> >> for educators.
> >
> > In what way ?
> > Real answer only.
>
> 1. Schools can get them through their usual suppliers of educational
>    material, with a pretty decent discount, and with educational
>    courses and materials, pretty much ready to go.

 Might be true for some countries.

> 2. Most "maker-space" atuned electronics pushers carry them.

 At their peril.

> 3. Big electronics pushers carry them.
>
> In re 1-3: No customs processing of shipment involved.
>
> 4. Cost, including shipping is below "trivial" threshold in most
>    organizations.

 To all those points: you might be right, but without documentation on
the hardware (ALL hardware present in the SoC) we will never be
relevent on RPI. And having the doc will never happens, we all
shoud focus on other SoCs where docs is available.

Emmanuel Vadot <manu at bidouilliste.com>