arm64 as Tier 1 for FreeBSD 13

Poul-Henning Kamp phk at phk.freebsd.dk
Wed Jan 29 21:11:50 UTC 2020

--------
In message <D140BA2A-71F3-4574-9015-675950705AF2 at gromit.dlib.vt.edu>, Paul Mather writes:
>On Dec 4, 2019, at 4:24 AM, Robert Clausecker <fuz at fuz.su> wrote:
>
>> On Wed, Dec 04, 2019 at 07:29:57AM +0000, Poul-Henning Kamp wrote:
>>> In message <CAPyFy2BXWPVOJo+GOf83sZFrPHE80-QvdHeWrhi+Tdj0KDnThg at mail.gmail.com>, Ed Maste writes:
>>
>> Indeed.  For example, on a Raspberry Pi 3B, it takes multiple days to
>> build world as the build must be done single threaded due to a lack of
>> RAM (building LLVM is the worst offender here).

I plugged in a "WD SSD Passport" USB disk, it supports BIO_DELETE and
performs so much better than a SD card, that swapon(8) is a good idea.

I will also repeat again:  We ignore the RPi4 at our peril.

RPi's are a LOT easier to get hold of for hackers and in particular
for educators.

We may not want to use them ourselves, but we should keep that
part of the on-ramp open, in particular for young people.