Retiring GNU objdump 2.17.50

Marcin Cieslak saper at saper.info
Mon Jan 13 17:05:51 UTC 2020

On Thu, 9 Jan 2020, Ed Maste wrote:

> world or kernel). It is required to build a limited number of ports,
> and is used by some developers.

My use case is troubleshooting tool - I can always ask somebody
on the remote computer to check their binaries with a tool that
is in the base system. ("Can you objdump -T this library?",
"Can you objdump -R something | grep symbolname?").

I think the first use case can be solved with "nm -D", I don't see
the replacement for the latter. Since I also support Mac, Linux users it
nice to have one tool that works the same across all the platforms;
but give I need to take "otool" for older MacOS into account I don't
mind to have something else under a different name, with different
options, as long as it is well known and preferably always available
for troubleshooting (not an additionally installed something).
Haven't worked with llvm-objdump yet.

I like the disassembler feature but for myself I can install
binutils.

Marcin