Porting FreeBSD to Z mainframes idea

Warner Losh imp at bsdimp.com
Sat Jan 25 18:41:59 UTC 2020

On Sat, Jan 25, 2020, 3:56 AM Bjoern A. Zeeb <bzeeb-lists at lists.zabbadoz.net>
wrote:

> On 19 Jan 2020, at 14:21, Shivank Garg wrote:
>
> Hi,
>
> > On Sun, Jan 19, 2020, 3:56 AM Greg 'groggy' Lehey <grog at freebsd.org>
> wrote:

> the

> on
> >>
> >> Agreed, at least at first sight.  Have you discussed this on the
> >> NetBSD lists?
> >>

> > No. I haven't discussed this with them yet.
>
> I actually also have no idea about their community thinking about it still.
> Would be curious to know.

> I think 3-4 months is nowhere near where you can get to anything useful
> if you have no clue about the mainframe architecture and low-level
> kernel bringup.

> The latter probably, the former not so much.  I’ve been contemplating
> it on-and-off for more than a decade.
>
> I’ve made make buildworld buildkernel work twice already with skeleton
> (read mostly empty implementation) in order to allow people to join and
> help.
>
> I’ve asked developers and people who did work on other OSes.
> I’ve never found the really good “YES DO IT” case apart from it being
> a hobby project.  I’ve found people who were interested in running it.
> In order to justify it becoming an official FreeBSD platform to run on
> you need more than a single customer sadly and you probably need someone
> from the inside at big blue to be able to actually run it on anything
> that is not qemu (or some open source emulator).

I'm mulling how to have a good round of discussions about the minimums to
be in the tree. One thing we need is good CI to know things are working.
For that, qemu is great. In fact, there is a strong desire to have a smoke
test that makes a bootable image and then boot it to multi user that is
completely automatic.

But running on real hardware also is needed. It makes the port useful. It
also increases the appeal and often brings resources to maintain it...

Warner

/bz