svn commit: r356758 - in head/usr.sbin/bsdinstall: . scripts

Ben Woods woodsb02 at gmail.com
Thu Jan 23 04:05:33 UTC 2020

On Thu, 23 Jan 2020 at 8:58 am, Mark Millard <marklmi at yahoo.com> wrote:

> Ben Woods woodsb02 at gmail.com write on
> Thu Jan 23 00:07:13 UTC 2020 :
>
> > Before I commit phabricator review D23224, is there any final comments?
> >
> > Particularly on these 2 lines of help-text:
> > msg_partitioning_zfs_help="ZFS is recommended if you have at least 4GB
> RAM"
> > msg_partitioning_ufs_help="UFS is recommended if you have less than 4GB
> of
> > RAM"
> >
> > There is some disagree about what these 2 recommendations should be.
> >
> > 4GB was recommended by: imp, emaste, philip, eugen, dteske
> > 8GB was recommended by: mike
> > 16GB was recommended by: cem
> >
> > The 4GB limit seems to have the best consensus, however there was some
> > debate about whether ZFS is recommended on a system with 4GB, or only
> > systems with MORE THAN 4GB.
>
> What of uSD card based systems (for example small ARM boards)?
> Does the typical performance characteristics of the uSD cards
> (such as large latencies) have ZFS consequences to avoid?

The ZFS install option is only presented on amd64, i386, arm64 systems.
https://github.com/freebsd/freebsd/blob/e8ec070d82b84afb3817e1bc76b4eeebfdb6ce0f/usr.sbin/bsdinstall/scripts/auto#L291

I suspect most small arm boards are still typically 32bit arm? However,
that doesn’t preclude there being small arm64 boards (now or in the
future...).

More
> generally: is there anything besides RAM that has enough use but
> also has good reason to contribute to a potential choice to
> avoid ZFS? (I've no clue of uSD card use makes a good example or
> not, but I wanted something to illustrate the general question.)

Perhaps the help text should instead include a link to the ZFS tuning guide
that includes any and all considerations?

I do like the choice to just add some quick notes to read
> instead of detecting and adjusting defaults.
>
> [This may not make it to freebsd-arch: it is historically rare
> that I'd comment there and so I've not tried to be added.
> Anything I submit there goes through a moderator and I've
> never objected when one of those rare ones did not go
> through.]
>
> > As for the ZFS auto-tuning, I see that as being a separate discussion
> > (which could ultimately change this recommendation, but shouldn't prevent
> > us from committing this help text now).
>

> ===
> Mark Millard
> marklmi at yahoo.com