Porting FreeBSD to Z mainframes idea

Shivank Garg shivank at freebsd.org
Sat Jan 18 07:13:17 UTC 2020

Hi!
I wish to pursue this idea of porting FreeBSD to IBM Z mainframes.
Currently, there are no BSD derivatives for Z mainframes, and I find the
idea of porting FreeBSD to Z mainframe. There is a sponsored internship
program called OpenMainFrame Mentorship. So, I thought to propose this
project in this program. But I'm a beginner and have very little idea about
the whole porting process and challenges faced during it.
Someone on IRC suggested to port NetBSD first, as it is easier to port on
different hardware platforms.
I will be very thankful if you can give suggestions about this, and how
much time will it take for a beginner? The mentorship program is for a span
of 3-4 months. Also, If it's too difficult, can there be any doable goals
in the porting process that I can propose for the program and I would
continue the project even after the program is over. I personally feel the
project has good potential, and It will be very helpful in my learning
growth.

PS - I'm a master's student with my research interest completely in OS area.

Regards,
Shivank Garg
IIT Kanpur