svn commit: r356758 - in head/usr.sbin/bsdinstall: . scripts

Mike Karels mike at karels.net
Sat Jan 18 01:16:15 UTC 2020

> On Fri, 17 Jan 2020 at 08:21, Ben Woods <woodsb02 at gmail.com> wrote:

> > Perhaps we could simply include a message on that bsdinstall partitioning
> > mode selection screen that UFS is recommended on systems with < 4 Gb RAM?
> >

> I have uploaded a diff for this here: https://reviews.freebsd.org/D23224

> Please let me know your thoughts (comments in the phabricator review would
> be best).

I think this needs more discussion, preferably on this list.  I am not
convinced that systems with as little as 4 GB should use ZFS.  Conventional
wisdom on the FreeNAS mailing list says that 8 GB is required for ZFS,
and FreeNAS no longer includes UFS as an option.  Conrad suggested a
cutoff of 16 GB; I am happier with 16 GB than 4 GB as a cutoff.  Also,
there was mention of auto-tuning for smaller systems; I don't think that
has materialized yet.  I'm not sure how plausible that is without knowing
the workload.  I use ZFS on a workstation/server with 64 GB that runs 4
bhyve guests that do things like buildworld.  ZFS wants 63 GB for arc_max;
needless to say, I have a tunable set to a much lower value.  If tuning
is required, it is unclear that ZFS is a good default.

		Mike