Return of config files to ^/etc

Kyle Evans kevans at freebsd.org
Sat Feb 15 21:46:34 UTC 2020

On Sat, Feb 15, 2020 at 3:34 PM Oliver Pinter <oliver.pntr at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Saturday, February 15, 2020, Rodney W. Grimes <freebsd-rwg at gndrsh.dnsmgr.net> wrote:

>> > I will certainly be waiting on plenty of feedback for this one.
>>
>> It is actually minor feedback, but more about methods than content.

>> > Thanks- I appreciate that! =-)
>>
>> Did you just stick a pitch fork in my hay bail?   :-)

>> > I have a fear (completely unfounded- I make no claims that this is
>> > correct or has ever happened) that svn would do the completely wrong
>> > thing and try to restore the old version.
>>
>> Well isnt the "old version" what we want to get back to actually?
>

> Not et all. There will be possible changes in the files in the newer place too. Like eliminating an architecture or improving defaults. For getting clue about what has been moved from svn is fine, but reverting - as I think - is not.

Sorry, I missed this part of the chain- indeed, we don't want the old
version, just the old location with appropriate changes. Considering
this sequence of events:

1. ^/etc/defaults/devfs.rules moves to sbin/devfs/devfs.rules
2. rgrimes commits new hotness that's compatible with older branches
to devfs.rules
3. jhb comes through and makes some change for a 13.0-only feature
4. rgrimes MFC's bits described in #2
5. kevans moves sbin/devfs/devfs.rules back

To be explicit: #2 may be MFC'd to stable/12, but #3 may not

My experience is that trying to MFC the move back (step #4) will pull
in changes #2 *and* #3 implicitly (unless you're paying attention,
then it's pretty explicit). Ideally, what we want is a version in
stable/12 with #1 reverted but #2 still applied, and #3 *not*.

This is the level of hell with MFC'ing sys/boot -> stand back to
stable/11, except some changes after the sys/boot -> stand move had
already been MFC'd, so I had to re-apply those changes manually or
work out some other way to reconcile because it kept trying to pull a
stale version back.

Thanks,

Kyle Evans