pam_tally2

Daniel Ebdrup Jensen debdrup at FreeBSD.org
Mon Dec 7 22:35:52 UTC 2020

On Mon, Dec 07, 2020 at 09:31:49AM -0800, Cy Schubert wrote:
>How much interest would there be in the FreeBSD community for a
>pam_tally2-like facility for FreebSD?
>
>Not that I'm volunteering to do this right here and now, I have enough
>projects on the go at the moment but it's something I've been thinking
>about over the last couple of years.
>

>--
>Cheers,
>Cy Schubert <Cy.Schubert at cschubert.com>
>FreeBSD UNIX:  <cy at FreeBSD.org>   Web:  https://FreeBSD.org
>NTP:           <cy at nwtime.org>    Web:  https://nwtime.org
>
>	The need of the many outweighs the greed of the few.

Hi Cy,

To me, pam_tally sounds useful, because while some of the functionality can be
found in the form of blocklistd, which can be used to restrict abuse via a
firewall, that doesn't really limit local-access attempts.

So it definitely seems like something that could be useful for, for example,
laptops used by developers and users who're dog-fooding. I know I'll be using
it, if you do end up making it. :)

Yours,
Daniel Ebdrup Jensen