Importing mksh in base

Robert Clausecker fuz at fuz.su
Fri Jan 25 20:15:21 UTC 2019

On Fri, Jan 25, 2019 at 11:53:12AM -0800, Cy Schubert wrote:
> In message <20190125193525.GA74966 at fuz.su>, Robert Clausecker writes:
> > On Fri, Jan 25, 2019 at 09:12:58AM -0800, Cy Schubert wrote:
> > > Why not ksh93 instead? It is the original and authoritative Korn
> > > shell. EPL is compatible with the BSD license. Personally, I've been
> > > toying with the idea of importing ksh93 for a while now.
> >
> > Note that ksh93 comes with a builtin user land from AT&T which should
> > behave quite a bit differently from the FreeBSD userland.  So unless we
> > want to maintain two slightly different userlands (one of which needs to
> > be maintained in conflict with upstream), that has to be torn out, which
> > kills one of the performance advantages of ksh93.
>
> Oh really? Explain please.

Ksh93 is part of the AT&T ast distribution.  This distribution contains
a large amount of standard programs and ksh93 would use them over the
system's own programs if $PATH was set up correctly (ksh93 recognised a
dummy path for "my own user land").  It does seem like they tore these
out in the latter releases, so this concern is probably no longer
important.

Yours,
Robert CLausecker

--
()  ascii ribbon campaign - for an 8-bit clean world
/\  - against html email  - against proprietary attachments