DRM removal soon

Cy Schubert Cy.Schubert at cschubert.com
Thu Feb 28 19:23:20 UTC 2019

On February 28, 2019 11:15:11 AM PST, Steve Kargl <sgk at troutmask.apl.washington.edu> wrote:
>On Thu, Feb 28, 2019 at 10:49:51AM -0800, Cy Schubert wrote:
>> On February 27, 2019 9:42:20 PM PST, Yoshihiro Ota
><ota at j.email.ne.jp> wrote:

>which
>> >of

>> >just a

>> >This is a helpful hint for others and a suggestion to update
>documents.
>> >
>> >I had read
>>
>>https://www.freebsd.org/releases/12.0R/relnotes.html#hardware-graphics
>> >and https://wiki.freebsd.org/Graphics before I started.  I had 4 old
>> >laptops and 1 vmawre and I didn't remember which machine uses which
>CPU
>> >:)
>> >If the doc can mention to check kldstat output and go to
>corresponding
>> >section, that will make steps easier.
>> >
>> >I converted to the port based driver for 4 psychical machines and 1
>> >vmware machine (although vmware do not use neither of driver.)  All
>of
>> >them run 12.0-RELEASE.  All of them start X and work fine.  I will
>> >likely get to 13-CURRENT a lot later as I ran 13-CURRENT without X
>and
>> >in vmware most of times.
>> >

>> The ports work as advertised.  IMO graphics/drm-legacy should be
>> depreciated sooner than later. I would expect the graphics team
>> could better spend their time and energy on drm-current, which
>> btw works perfectly on my old laptop converted to i386 testbed,
>> than maintaining old bitrot. When can we expect drm-legacy to
>> finally be removed from ports?
>>

>drm-legacy-kmd has already been *depreciated*?
>
>Perhaps, you meant deprecated.  :)
>
>Hopefully, never.  drm-current-kmod locks up my laptop.
>drm-legacy-kmod works.

Yes. drm-legacy-kmod should be removed from ports sooner than later. drm-current-kind works perfectly on older gear like my 13 year old Pentium-M, which was repurposed as an i386 test platform years ago.

The reason to remove old software from base is evident. The same reason holds for ports as well. The ports team are also a limited resource.

--
Pardon the typos and autocorrect, small keyboard in use.
Cheers,