"DRM removal soon" is premature

Steve Kargl sgk at troutmask.apl.washington.edu
Fri Feb 15 15:50:31 UTC 2019

On Fri, Feb 15, 2019 at 09:07:08AM +0000, Johannes Lundberg wrote:

> This happens all time for me with virtualbox-kmod as well in current.
> Changes to src breaks certain (kmod) ports and there's always a delay
> until they are fixed. This is life in -CURRENT. I accept this and don't
> go bitching to virtualbox-kmod maintainers about it. Your usage is an
> edge case so naturally there will be a longer delay before breakage is
> noticed, until we can get automated CI up and running (even so, there
> will be a delay).

Was virtualbox-kmod every a part of the FreeBSD base sytem?

drm2 was a part of the base system and it was functional
until it was unhooked from the build.  The issue with the
merged PAE vs. non-PAE i386/pmap.h would have been identified
prior to it being committed if either drm2 had not been
unhooked or if an exp-run over ports was run.

I also don't see how this is an edge case.  A part of drm2
removal was the creation of a port, so those who don't have
the luxury of updating hardware every year can continue to
use drm2.  If this type of breakage of functionality formerly
in base, and the name calling of someone pointing out the
breakage, is the new norm, then it is a harbinger of doom for
pkg-base.

--
Steve