"DRM removal soon" is premature

Ben Widawsky bwidawsk at freebsd.org
Thu Feb 14 22:58:13 UTC 2019

On 19-02-14 11:17:39, Steve Kargl wrote:
> On Thu, Feb 14, 2019 at 12:04:46PM -0700, Warner Losh wrote:
> > On Thu, Feb 14, 2019 at 12:02 PM Steve Kargl <
> > >
> > > I can't test the patch for several hours, and it will take
> > > 6 to 7 hours to rebuild world/kernel.  So, I'll have to report
> > > back tomorrow.
> > >

> > You'd only need to rebuild sys/modules/drm2, since that's the only thing
> > that will change with the patch.
> >
> > But I can wait. I won't be removing things before tomorrow.
> >

> Well, to get the laptop functional again, so that I could
> continue testing some libm changes, I reverted trunk back
> to r343566.  I would need to pull in r343567 with the
> pmap.h changes.  Apply your patch to drm2, and rebuild the
> entire kernel (including WITH_MODULE_DRM2).  I don't know
> if this new kernel would be incompatible with the old
> world.

Not to pile on unnecessarily here, but I think the fundamental issue is that
there is nobody who wants to maintain the in-tree DRM, and removal is likely a
better option to half-assed maintenance. I'd imagine there'd be a different
discussion if several developers were clamoring to keep this driver well
maintained in the tree.

--
Ben Widawsky, Intel Open Source Technology Center