"DRM removal soon" is premature

Niclas Zeising zeising at freebsd.org
Thu Feb 14 18:30:10 UTC 2019

On 2/14/19 7:08 PM, Warner Losh wrote:
> On Thu, Feb 14, 2019 at 11:01 AM Steve Kargl <
> sgk at troutmask.apl.washington.edu> wrote:
>
>> Warner,
>>
>> I'm not subscribed to freebsd-arch (well I am now!)
>>
>> drm-legacy-kmod is broken on i386-*-freebsd due
>> to r343567.  I posted about this issue in
>> freebsd-current, freebsd-x11 lists.  Find yourself
>> a post r343567 system, build drm-legacy-kmod, and
>> xorg and see what happens.
>>

>> https://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-current/2019-February/072802.html
>> https://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-x11/2019-February/022754.html
>

> The in-tree versions don't even compile, how are they better than the
> drm-legacy-kmod modules which do, but don't work for some people (and do
> for others)?

The code in drm-legacy-kmod and in base is exactly the same, with two
exceptions.  The port uses gpu-firmware-kmod instead of the base
firmware, so paths has been adjsusted, and there is a fix in there to
make it compile on 13, something that's not even in the base code.

I can give you a patch to the base stuff to make it compile (based on
the one in drm-legacy-kmod) if you are interested in testing, but I'm
pretty sure the failure will be the same, in your set up.

Regards
--
Niclas Zeising
FreeBSD Graphics Team