Any desire for a more flexible bus_dmamem_alloc variant ?

Jason Harmening jason.harmening at gmail.com
Tue Feb 12 04:52:12 UTC 2019

On Mon, Feb 11, 2019 at 9:34 AM John Baldwin <jhb at freebsd.org> wrote:

> On 2/10/19 1:13 AM, Jason Harmening wrote:
>
> I have this review I need to rebase and write the manpage bits for.  While
> it still ties the the size to the tag, it mostly hides the individual tag:
>
> https://reviews.freebsd.org/D5704

I like that.  It doesn't fix my idealogical gripe about maxsize being a
constraint vs. an allocation specifier.
But I'm not sure that matters if it can get rid of most/all of the
practical ramifications of the problem.  Plus it kills off a bunch of other
cruft too.

Suggestion, maybe dumb: What if you added a flex array of segments at the
end of struct bus_dmamem and a maxsegs argument in the args struct to allow
multi-seg allocations?
That would fix what might be the only real impediment to using this pretty
much anywhere.