svn commit: r350550 - head/share/mk

Rodney W. Grimes freebsd-rwg at gndrsh.dnsmgr.net
Thu Aug 8 23:51:47 UTC 2019

> On Wed, 7 Aug 2019 at 21:50, tech-lists <tech-lists at zyxst.net> wrote:
> >
> > really? When the setting first became available, I found it wasn't the case,
> > and that's why on all my stable systems I had to set
> > WITHOUT_REPRODUCIBLE_BUILD=YES in /etc/src.conf in order to preserve previous
> > uname -a behaviour.
>
> WITH_REPRODUCIBLE_BUILD has never affected the method used to
> determine the SVN version or whether it was included - the same SVN
> version has always been in uname -a regardless of the
> REPRODUCIBLE_BUILD knob.
>
> The REPRODUCIBLE_BUILD knob affects exactly two invocations in the
> build process.  When set -r or -R is passed tosys/conf/newvers.sh and
> stand/common/newvers.sh. This controls timestamp, user, and host in
> the loader, and the build count, time, date, user, host, and build
> directory in the kernel (as reported by uname).

Thank you for the clarification on this, if that infact is the
only effect this knob has on all of the build artifacts I am
completly fine with it set either way and shall continue to
force it off on all my kernel build VM's so that I do have
my critical host and path information when I need it.

I formally retract my proposal.
--
Rod Grimes                                                 rgrimes at freebsd.org