FreeBSD and xfsprogs ?

Eric Sandeen sandeen at redhat.com
Tue Mar 27 16:48:35 UTC 2018

On 3/27/18 11:07 AM, Darrick J. Wong wrote:
> [cc the xfsprogs maintainer]
> [cc xfs list]

Yes, thanks.

> On Mon, Mar 26, 2018 at 12:57:55PM -0700, Conrad Meyer wrote:
>> Yeah, someone broke the build recently via a base toolchain change or
>> a ports framework/compiler change.  I don't think that changes
>> anything.
>>
>> On Mon, Mar 26, 2018 at 12:53 PM, Cy Schubert <Cy.Schubert at cschubert.com> wrote:
>>> In message <CAG6CVpU3qe10UUY6B-N4fs9WTwwUerVcJh0CrP22D8hvB4Z14Q at mail.gma
>>> il.com>

> Yikes.  I'm curious, how many people use fusefs-lkl?
>
> Eric will have more to say about this, but is your xfsprogs port still
> on 3.2.4 because ./configure can't find libblkid?

So: At this point, it seems like if you're still on a 4 year old xfsprogs
release with custom patches due to build problems we've never heard about,
there doesn't seem to be a very strong effort to keep XFS on FreeBSD thriving.

And, given that you're stuck on 3.2.4, removing support from 4.16.0 won't
change your situation anyway.

Are people using this?  Is anyone dedicated to maintaining it, or is it
just kind of floating along at this point?

I'd rather not keep non-building freebsd code around just in case; I'd like
to either see someone take ownership to get freebsd properly building upstream,
or just drop it and let FreeBSD keep patching on the side as you've been doing
for a few years anyway.

Thoughts?

Thanks,
-Eric