early x86 microcode loading

Eric van Gyzen eric at vangyzen.net
Thu Jul 12 19:38:44 UTC 2018

On 07/12/2018 14:24, John Baldwin wrote:
> On 7/12/18 11:31 AM, Mark Johnston wrote:
>> I'm interested in any feedback on the above, and especially any
>> suggestions on how this feature should be integrated with the
>> devcpu-data port.  Thanks in advance.
>
> In general this sounds good to me.  I'm not quite sure how to manage
> setting the lines in loader.conf.  Using 'service foo start/stop'
> seems to be a bit of an abuse of what service is used for as opposed
> to just including a standalone script in the devcpu-data port with a
> suitable pkg-message.  sysrc seems to be a closer analog than service
> in theory, but shoehorning this into sysrc would seem to be quite
> ugly and doesn't seem like a good idea to me either.

I hesitate to suggest this, due to the necessary change in /two/ boot
loaders, but...  The foo.d approach is very convenient for packages.  An
activation script installed by the port/package could create a new
/boot/loader.conf.d/devcpu-data file containing these lines.  A
pkg-message would instruct the user to run it.

Eric