xstr, mkstr

Poul-Henning Kamp phk at phk.freebsd.dk
Wed Jul 4 06:52:06 UTC 2018

--------
In message <31b491de-ac5e-ca0f-5f84-96cfa7c02699 at FreeBSD.org>, Bryan Drewery wr
ites:

>On the otherhand I don't see the point in removing something that isn't
>harming anything, is not worth talking about in terms of size or build
>time, and is unlikely to need maintenance.

Source code is a liability, it is not an investment.

If the code is useless and not part of a published API, then it should
be removed.

>This argument of "not useful" is a bit subjective. Is cut useful when we
>have awk? I won't go on.

cut(1) & awk(1) are both part of the published API, so that comparison gets
you nowhere.