xstr, mkstr

Warner Losh imp at bsdimp.com
Wed Jul 4 04:04:00 UTC 2018

On Tue, Jul 3, 2018 at 11:56 AM, Rodney W. Grimes <
freebsd-rwg at pdx.rh.cn85.dnsmgr.net> wrote:

> [ Charset UTF-8 unsupported, converting... ]
> > On Tue, Jul 3, 2018, 11:41 AM Rodney W. Grimes <
> > freebsd-rwg at pdx.rh.cn85.dnsmgr.net> wrote:
> >
> > > [ Charset UTF-8 unsupported, converting... ]

> work

> > > compiler.
> > > 90s.
> it, or

> > > ever
> > >
> > > I thought someone already pointed out places in the src tree
> > > that had references to them, though they may
> > >

> > You removed the SHAREDSTRINGS support in r3493 back in 1994. It's been
> > unused since then. There are comments that suggest it never worked in
> > FreeBSD, but that may be 2.0 and newer only.
>
> Removed it, not commented it out.  Someone else on this thread made
> statement that stuff is refering to these tools, that could not been
> what I removed in r3493.
>
> I do see that some of what I removed in r3493 is now back as bmake
> has moved to contrib/ and these strings are now there:
> ./contrib/bmake/mk/prog.mk:.if defined(SHAREDSTRINGS)
> ./contrib/bmake/mk/README:SHAREDSTRINGS If defined, a new .c.o rule is
> used that results in shared
>
> Those are parts that I totally removed from
> share/mk/{bsd.README,bsd.prog.mk} in r3493.

Right, it hsn't been relevant since then, and hasn't worked in the build
system. the actual programs may or may not still work, since they were
never updated past the K&R era level C language. There are a number of
special cases I don't think they handle, including // comments. I doubt
they are still useful.

> The only note I see about "never worked" is that prog.mk stuff
> is suppose to have issues with Parallel make, thats in the
> contrib/bmake/mk/README.  Where do you have a reference to
> never worked in FreeBSD?

This was reimported after the original stuff was removed. I should have
said unused rather than not working since it was 'not working with the
build'.

Warner