Ranting about OCF / crypto(9)

Poul-Henning Kamp phk at phk.freebsd.dk
Thu Jan 11 07:46:48 UTC 2018

--------
In message <3790717.UIxaijsHl3 at ralph.baldwin.cx>, John Baldwin writes:

>- OCF is over flexible and overly broad.

I would actually argue that it is neithe, quite the contrary.

With the kernel-userland transition becoming more expensive, what
we need is a DSL where you can put entire processing steps into the
kernel, sort of like BPF but more general.

Ideally, you should be able to push something like this into
the kernel and have it executed in a single syscall:

	h = hash:sha256()
	b = file_buffer()
	f = open("/tmp/foo", "r")
	while f.read(b):
		h.input(b)
	return h.hex()

BPF is the existence proof that stuff like this is both
feasible and profitable, now we just need to take it to
the next level.

If we had a language like this, accept-filters whouldn't be
necessary.