rtools were deemed almost unused 15 years ago...

Rodney W. Grimes freebsd-rwg at pdx.rh.CN85.dnsmgr.net
Mon Oct 9 16:32:51 UTC 2017

> On Wed, Oct 4, 2017 at 12:35 PM, Julian H. Stacey <jhs at berklix.com> wrote:
> >> Have you picked up the recent changes to the code in your port?
> >>
> >> ----- Jeremie Le Hen's Original Message -----
> >> e:

> > NO ! It's maddening, code vandals periodicaly wanting to delete working code
> > & pontificating what others globaly should be denied, & forced to do & not do.
> >
> > One example why FreeBSD should not delete rlogin & telnet etc
> >   3 days ago, a host with broken sshd (bad shared libs version
> >   number), was rescued by ssh to trusted parent host, then rlogin
> >   from that parent host to underlying jail.
> >
> > 3rd party code vandals are Not fit to decide what code should be
> > denied globaly in other peoples' environments. By all means leave off by
> > default in /etc/inetd.conf as now, but do Not Vandal Delete !
> >
> > BSD is not Microsoft replete with masses of clueless users.  BSD
> > includes skilled users who may wish to make their own risk assessments,
> > without interference.
>
> I know I shouldn't be replying to this message but I will do it
> nonetheless, once and for all.
>
> You can install net/bsdrcmds and be happy again.  I've even modified
> inetd.conf(5) to use the path of the port's binary.

You added yet another wrong assumption that ports must live in
/usr/local to the base system, something that was irradicated
20 years ago and has slowly crept back in over the decades.

Rod Grimes                                                 rgrimes at freebsd.org