The future of fortune(6)

Rodney W. Grimes freebsd-rwg at pdx.rh.CN85.dnsmgr.net
Mon Nov 27 01:53:06 UTC 2017

> In message <5A1AFD83.8000503 at grosbein.net>, Eugene Grosbein writes:
> > 26.11.2017 22:59, Cy Schubert wrote:
> >
> > > Fortune in base is totally indefensible and for that matter even in ports
> > > it is. It absolutely has to go. I fully support Benno's effort.
> >
> > Please don't mix fortune(6) C code with contents of src/usr.bin/fortune/datfi
> > les.
> >
> > The code src/usr.bin/fortune/{fortune|strfile} is valuable and independend of
> >  exact datfiles
> > and there is no reason to remove it from the base as we have no alternatives
> > for the task whey solve.
>
> Putting my Canadian hat on instead of being my frustrated self today:
>
> I think the way forward is to replace fortune in base with a shell script
> to conditionally execute ${LOCALBASE}/bin/fortune and if not found advises

YEA!!!!!  Someone that actually knows it is suppose to be called LOCALBASE
and not a hardcoded /usr/local!!  I believe a few dozen of these have
slipped in to base over the years.

Now where is a virtual phk beer I can send to Cy?

--
Rod Grimes                                                 rgrimes at freebsd.org