The future of fortune(6)

A. Wilcox AWilcox at Wilcox-Tech.com
Wed Nov 22 20:35:33 UTC 2017

On 22/11/17 14:06, Warner Losh wrote:
> We're a technical project, primarily, not one that has a
> political agenda.

perhaps that is why so many people are confused by its removal.

If there is no political agenda, then moving the entire thing to a port
would have been the right thing to do – including the datfiles.

Oh well, political correctness already took three other projects to
rubbish.  It was only a matter of time before it came for FreeBSD too.
Especially since this removal was done under the cover of darkness, with
no community involvement.

You can't have it both ways.  Either FreeBSD is apolitical, and
therefore does not *have* a view on the quotes included in the datfiles,
and therefore does not care that they stay; or FreeBSD is now political,
and taking a side that the quotes included are offensive.

And just so we're clear: I say this as a non-binary person who is an
LGBT rights and environmental activist.  The whole point of fortune is
to be offensively funny.  Take a joke.  Or don't, and move it to a port.

But get all the way out of my inbox with the white knighting, please.

--arw

--
A. Wilcox (awilfox)
Open-source programmer (C, C++, Python)