manpath change for ports ?

Baptiste Daroussin bapt at FreeBSD.org
Mon Mar 6 23:56:12 UTC 2017

Hi all,

I would like to propose a change in the localbase hier for ports

I think we should add /usr/local/share/man in the manpath along with at first
and maybe instead of in long term.

The reason is:
- /usr/local/share/man seems more consistent to me with base which have:
  /usr/share/man
- It will remove lots of patches from the ports tree where were we need to patch
  upstream build system to install in a non usual path.

My proposal is to add to the manpath /usr/local/share/man in default man(1)
command in FreeBSD 12 (MFCed to 11-STABLE)

and either provide an errata for 11.0/10.3 or a
/usr/local/etc/man.d/something.conf via a port or something like that for those
two, what do you think?

For the same reason I would like to allow porters to stop patching (with pathfix
or anything else) the path for pkgconfig files and allow
/usr/local/lib/pkgconfig along with the current
/usr/local/libdata/pkgconfig:/usr/libdata/pkgconfig

Which will also remove tons of hacks from the ports tree.

What do you think?

Best regards,
Bapt