RFC: Sendmail deprecation ?

Mark Linimon linimon at lonesome.com
Thu Dec 14 00:39:01 UTC 2017

On Wed, Dec 13, 2017 at 07:21:02AM -0600, Mike Karels wrote:
> It seems to me that the option that is best-integrated, and which serves
> the needs of the greatest number of systems, is the sendmail in base.

I will submit the following from one of my boards:

# uname -a
FreeBSD orangepiplus2e 12.0-CURRENT FreeBSD 12.0-CURRENT #10 r326497M: Sun Dec  3 22:14:12 UTC 2017     linimon at burner12.lonesome.com:/usr/obj/usr/src/arm.armv7/sys/GENERIC  arm
# whereis sendmail
sendmail: /usr/sbin/sendmail /usr/share/man/man8/sendmail.8.gz /usr/ports/mail/sendmail

i.e. we are installing sendmail, by default, on single-board systems
that may have less than or equal to 512M of RAM.

I think this is silly.

mcl