Sendmail deprecation ?

Cy Schubert Cy.Schubert at komquats.com
Thu Dec 7 03:48:51 UTC 2017

In message <201712070251.vB72p58k054508 at slippy.cwsent.com>, Cy Schubert
writes:
> In message <B16088FF-FDE1-4EDF-AB76-D60C2E5F3E8F at panasas.com>, "Pokala,
> Ravi" w
> rites:
> > So less "no dma(8)", and more "no default MTA at all; make them select one"
> ?
>
> Yes.

Thinking about this further and softening my position a little, I'd be
satisfied with a knob to not build dma in base at all. (Though the desire
to remove bloat I prefer not to replace when something is removed.)

Upline sendmail hasn't been updated for a a year and almost eight months.
(I had misgivings of the sale.) Having said that, I think sendmail's time
has come however I'm not convinced replacing it with another default MTA is
the solution. A stub like pkg that could install a package, providing the
user with a list to choose from, possibly timing out after a short period
of time to install the dma pkg (or port) makes the most sense to me and
should be a good compromise for all.

As gjb@ has been working toward packaged base, would it not be a good time
for the MTA replacement project to consider relying on dma ports/packages?

Ports/packages are just as much FreeBSD as base is.

--
Cheers,
Cy Schubert <Cy.Schubert at cschubert.com>