Conclusion of fortune(6) discussion

Steffen Nurpmeso steffen at sdaoden.eu
Wed Dec 6 16:16:10 UTC 2017

"Poul-Henning Kamp" <phk at phk.freebsd.dk> wrote:
 |In message <1512509473.1313677.1195210352.2DC7580C at webmail.messagingengine.c\
 |om>
 |, Benno Rice writes:
 |
 |> I acknowledge the history that the fortune files embody but we’re
 |>not living in that history any more. We’re living now. The world in 2017
 |>is not the world in 1987 or the world in 1997.
 |
 |To me this is the most convincing argument for getting rid of the
 |old jokes:  Fortune(6) as joke-supply only make sense if somebody
 |humourously competent actively curate the collection of jokes.
 |
 |Distributing the same old jokes, year after year, release after
 |release is a ritual, and it is certainly not funny.
 |
 |We can argue exactly how well curated the freebsd-tips are, but
 |they are by definition fresh to their intended audience and even I
 |will admit to having learned something from one or two of them.

The public discourse (of those countries that i have on my media
radar, embarassingly few) beats with a sledgehammer of lies and an
overwhelming amount of (superficial) facts without giving any
context.  It is not the time for receiving undertones in between
written lines, and it seems it has become an impossibility to
expect them to appear before one mind's eye just because of the
context in which they .. indeed appear.

--steffen