watchdog end-user interface

Poul-Henning Kamp phk at phk.freebsd.dk
Wed Oct 19 11:18:21 UTC 2016

--------
In message <ec3dfab5-c3bc-e9e5-181e-8c2704f60acd at FreeBSD.org>, Andriy Gapon wri
tes:

>I want to question if those options really belong to watchdogd.
>When a watchdog timer expires that results in a system-wide action (like a
>system reset).  To me, that implies that there should be a single system-wide
>configuration point.  And I am not sure that the daemon is the best choice for it.

The reason I originally put it in a daemon, was to have the watchdog
implicitly test the kernels ability to schedule trivial processes.

It used to be, and may still be so that, there are deadlocks where
the kernel was twiddling its thumbs but userland did not progress.
Typical triggers for this are disk-I/O errors, corrupt filesystems,
memory overcommit etc.

A kernel-only watchdog patter would not trigger in that case.